PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hums
Thread: Hums
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2003, 16:41
Flytest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick

I never have been a supporter of cockpit displays for HUMS, for the very reason you mention, however your example is a little strong, if I was flying along with all my T's & P's ok, then there is no way on the planet I would take rash actions like ditching on the strength of HUMS indication. I think you make a good point about airworthiness, which is something EVERYONE MUST understand, HUMS cannot be used to ascertain an aircrafts airworthiness alone, it is merely part of the bigger toolbox. That said, there will no doubt be people of the opinion that if HUMS draws a pilots attention to something, and through subsequent gauge indications / control feedback etc, he chooses to invoke precautionary / emergency procedures, then that is good.

Personally I don't think ANYONE has a system that is reliable enough as to warrant such a cockpit display / warning system, and I agree that HUMS should be used as a post flight diagnostic tool, for engineering use. Pilot involvement should not exceed airborne system activation and de-activation, as a general rule of thumb.

However, being an open minded type of guy, I shall come and see your BMU for myself with great interest at Helitech.