PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 23:34
JollyRancher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Septerra, I enrolled in the Diploma of Aviation with Soar about a year ago. Self Funding was not an option for me and the choice to use Soar was based primarily on the availability of vet fee assistance and the part time nature of the course. I am completing the course while working full time which requires sacrificing a lot of free time for study and flying but it is certainly achievable.

I was very hesitant to commit to flying training with the aircraft used by Soar but after some time spent thinking about it, the above criteria are what sealed the deal for me. I undertook some private training in a Warrior before starting at Soar and I have found that the Foxbat (and it's GA cousin the Vixxen) definitely has a degree of simplicity about it when compared to the Warrior and I imagine many other typical training aircraft. The aircraft have their own challenges though and the Vixxen will float forever if you don't keep it under tight control during approach to landing.

I do feel that the Foxbat and Vixxen are not the most ideal training aircraft for a future commercial pilot but to me the most important part of my training is in learning how to be a safe and capable pilot. I can summarise by saying it's learning good habits early, having the correct personal attitudes and behaviours for piloting and by developing the characteristics of good airmanship. Soar has some great instructors and I feel I'm learning important piloting skills that will transfer over to any aircraft I may fly in future.

Hopefully something in my opinion can help you out Septerra, message me if you want any additional information. Best of luck to you on your flying training.