PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USMC MV-22 down off Queensland coast
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 13:21
Lonewolf_50

Received 403 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by tubby linton
Lonewolf_50 calm down dear!
I recall you giving me the business on that cargo crash that hit the ridge ... I guess memories are short. Not to mention that I spent no few years flying and teaching in instrument conditions, fixed wing and rotary, and was a CRM instructor ... but some of your chastisement regarding type specific issues was well made.

As to the V-22: when considering the aircraft, it is important to look at the V-22 problems in two phases. One was the development phase, up to the early 00's and the point of the crash that stopped the program dead in its tracks. We'd been working on the training pipeline and skill areas on how to feed the FRS at New River when that went to all stop.
They had to go back and look at some flying characteristics (VRS among others) and program management, and either stay stopped or go forward. There were some things fixed.
From that point forward, you've got a different profile on accident's and incidents. Helicopters have now and again come to the back of the ship with people on board an balled it up for about five decades. Not surprised to see that environment hold risks for the Osprey as well.

Disappointed to see this happen, as I was when a -46 or a -53 did likewise. Glad that most of the people got recovered, but saddened to see three still lost.

The presumption that the type of aircraft is the root cause of this accident, which you made, strikes me as both premature and not in keeping with your usual approach on accidents in the areas where you are more expert.

Thus my question: are you playing David Axe? (Axe is a gadfly/journalist who tried to make a career of criticizing the Osprey).

Aside: Lieutenant General Lawrence Nicholson: holy smokes, he used to live right down the street from me when he was a Major. Looks like Larry's done good!