PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather Radar in Cavok Condition?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 11:26
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PENKO
Of course you would trust your eyes. Until you fly into overcast skies and forget to switch the radar on. Your eyes won't help you then. Leaving the radar on the whole flight is just a precaution that some operators employ. What's the fuss?

I was talking about good weather conditions in day time. Unless both of us are sleeping, I don't see how it's possible to fly into a CB. obviously if it looks doggy, I won't take a chance and put the radar ON. Maybe it depends where you fly, I operate now in Asia, and 90% of the time the Cbs are well isolated and you must be drunk or sleeping to miss it.. When I was flying in Africa, no aircraft were equipped with radar; Never remembered being a serious problem during day time. Let's be honest, most of the time it's just water and worst case you are going to shake a bit: Just open your eyes and doge around the cells. Simple as it sounds. Weather radar is a bonus, it's not even required by Mel if no thundestorm activity en route even at night! Make me wounder if some airlines will cancel a day time flight in perfect condition just because the radar is inop? LOL
My fuss is the people lack of common sense and that "oversafe attitude" Maybe I'm too much company orientated but just because it's there does not mean you have to use it. Someone is paying for that, your employer. If the maintenance cost was negligible; Then all operators and Airbus will recommend to keep the radar ON all the time. But I guess they assume there is still some room for pilot to think before acting blindly.
By that logic, like I mention before, we should fly with anti ice all the time, all lights on, land with autobrake medium, maximum fuel: That's also safer.

Last edited by pineteam; 7th Aug 2017 at 11:51. Reason: added one sentence