PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 07:47
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SpazSinbad
I have no helo experience nor STOVL however there is info about same in the PDF with the F-35B & C taking a lot of space because: what they have and how they do it is so 'extra ordinary' (to me anyway). 'CLUBS' I do not recognize (prolly something to chase up). 'Ship Communicators' I would take to mean the CCAs Carrier Controlled Approaches? The only way an A4G could get aboard at night was to carry out a CCA to one mile with the talkdown continuing (depending on controller & conditions) with the A4G pilot calling the ball when he could etc... MELBOURNE had one of the first CCA radars - a Sea Venom radar in the dome atop aft on the island. Brits dun good again.
I have been looking at your pages on the FAAA site - very informative.

CLUBS stood for Carrier Line Up Beacon - something to do with CVS/Sea Harrier/Harrier I think - not much information about it out there.

Your comment about Melbourne and her CCA radar is very interesting. I was astounded when you said the radar from the Sea Venom was used, but it does make sense. The incoming aircraft would be seen by other radars until being at CCA range. Then (the Sea Venom had an air intercept radar - yes?) since you knew which direction the aircraft is coming from, the limited arc is not an issue, and offset by the greater resolution. As such the pilot could be directed to the meatball.

In the Sea Harrier days, the CVS was fitted with something called MADGE (Microwave Airborne Digital Guidance Equipment), as was the Sea Harrier itself. When the Sea Harrier left service, the two remaining members of the class were fitted with a precision approach landing (Harrier GR7/9 had no MADGE) - I assume this performed a CCA role. The jet then used optical systems like CLUBS to line up on the carrier, and then DAPS helped to get them into the hover at the right place, and then onto the deck.

From your own post here. I also found this from the On The Roger board: No more carrier meatballs

All these optical systems come from Captain (later Rear Admiral) Nick Goodhart's experiment. Now we have things like this:

Carrier Specific - AGI Ltd

The Glide Slope and Long Range Line-Up Indicator System (GLIS), incorporating two ASGSIs, has been developed by AGI to satisfy a requirement for an NVG compliant system that replaces Deck Approach Projector Sight (DAPS). This system may be used by pilots flying with NVDs, who are making their final approach to an aircraft carrier or similar sized naval vessel. The two ASGSI projectors, situated one fore and one aft on the port side of the flight deck, provide a long range line-up indication. Intensity calculations indicate that the viewing distance would be a minimum of 2NM depending upon prevailing meteorological visibility conditions. Operational experience has shown that the viewing distance is often considerably greater, with reports of 5NM not being uncommon. The beam projected by the two ASGSI's is vertically colour-coded, as well as incorporating different occulting rates in the upper and lower sectors. On the correct glide slope, both ASGSI's shall indicate a steady green signal to the pilot. Deviation from the correct glide path, results in one or other projectors being seen as a flashing colour, the flashing rate of which is dependent upon whether the deviation is high or low. The system may be used with equal effectiveness either with or without Night Vision Devices (NVD) and has been described as an intuitive replacement for DAPS.

The HIHAT system is a lighting solution developed for installation on aircraft carriers or other similar sized vessels, that will provide a clear, intuitive and NVD friendly indication of hover height and relative ship movement to the pilot in the side hover position. The viewing angle of the system is significantly wider than other similar traditional systems currently in service. For optimum performance, it should be mounted on the side of the ship's island, overlooking the flight deck, in a location that will allow visibility to a minimum number of three deck landing positions.

Then there is the Bedford Array for Rolling Vertical Landing..... I think you may have a nice PDF file about it somewhere!

As for ship's communicators - I was referring to the people who work in the Main Communications Office (might be called other things by other navies) setting up and running communications circuits, they are one of the many parts of ship that make it happen.