PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yak 52 down Nr Boscombe 8/7/2016
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2017, 16:49
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
tecumseh ... I guess that's my simplistic, non-aviator, point. Generating even more mountains of paper, processes, Regulations and MBA-speak scribble doesn't help anyone if people don't THINK!

In my ATCO days, as Supervisor, Training Officer or Local Examiner, I expected people to think. Yes, obviously comply with the rules, but also exercise their brains occasionally. When, for example, examining someone on Director for a Certificate of Competency endorsement, I would sometimes lean over and put their radar display on standby (obviously watching proceedings on the adjacent display). Many of them would just freeze, without thinking of all the other resources available to them.

If people don't THINK, and instead just try occasionally to wade through 183kg of regulations and forms, we do the people a disservice. Our Danny42C had to think, in his flying and ATC careers, without innumerable volumes of bumf... and he functioned effectively, without sitting on the output of several hundred MBA's worth of incomprehensible typescript..