PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 6th Aug 2017, 14:03
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The real problem with doing this is that it doesn't simulate the mental state of the pilots. It would be like watching the gorilla video when you know the gorilla is there.
A re-enactment of the approach will not have the simulation of the mental state as goal, but will look and try to find other clues besides the gorilla aka twy C. You can't miss the gorilla once you know it's there, so nobody will mistake C for 28R no matter how many simulation or re-enactment flight are done. But maybe, just maybe, other factors will be discovered, by the human eye on board of an investigation plane. That's why drone camera's or simulators won't be do the job. Many post back, I mentioned differences in 'perception' of classic and LED lighting. At that time I thought LED were at a disadvantage, after updating my knowledge, it's LEDs that are better in this case, the twy centerline greens, remain 'greener' at long distance compared to classic bulbs. Not sure what twy C is equipped with (seem to remember somebody mentioning LED's), but classic bulbs in the twy centerline, might have appeared less green/more white from a distance, and maybe the AC pilots locked their minds on "visual with a white centerline" (although, knowing the gorilla, it's remains hard to comprehend that all the rest of available lighting didn't give the right clues). If twy C is already equipped with LEDs however, then one less argument in favor for the AC pilots...