PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two killed on beach when aircraft makes emergency landing.
Old 6th Aug 2017, 06:54
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Damned if yer do and damned if ya don't. If the pilot in command (PIC) had landed out in the ocean as some have suggested and the pax/student were killed then the PIC would be blamed for not using the clear bit of beach available - which were apparently what he aimed for though missed.
I wonder how much engine off performance training the PIC received or was required to receive. On many light aircraft a windmilling prop gives a speed brake effect where-as a stopped prop gives better glide. None of my 'forced' glider landing experience has been in a 150 type aircraft so i carn't opinion on this incident.
Nice to have an accident report to consider first...

Anyway, here's a drone shot of apparently the same beach: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCFGks46IPU

Note at time 1:10 the hard to see people walking the beach. The drone is almost on top of them before they are identifiable as people.

At time 1:56 note the many beach umbrellas. Relavence is the pilot in command may be used to seeing from the air a large number of beach brollies that have few to no people around.

At time 2:50 note the sand 'island' just off the beach. Much the same is visible in the actual aircraft approach vid and is likely similar to the pilot view of approach.