PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - multi engine t/o safety brief- your views
Old 5th Sep 2003, 10:56
Jamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the Aztec procedures, cut & pasted from the routine checklist. SOP requires that ACC-Stop distance is already calculated prior to this and its outcome factors into the decision making process.

DEPARTURE & CAPTAINS BRIEF
Departure is via RWY ____, climbing to ________ and tracking via NDB/VOR/GPS/RADAR to course ______

Take-Off Safety Speed is ____; Blue-Line Speed is 89kt; Best SE ROC is 102kt.

In the event of an engine fire or failure BELOW 89kt, I will abandon the takeoff, shut both throttles, apply maximum braking and pull up straight ahead.

In the event of an engine failure ABOVE 89kt, I will continue the take-off. I will MAINTAIN DIRECTIONAL CONTROL, NOT BELOW 89kts.
MAXIMUM RICH MIXTURE, MAXIMUM PROP PITCH, MAXIMUM THROTTLE.
FLAPS UP and GEAR UP, using hand pump if LEFT ENGINE.
IDENTIFY failed engine – DEAD ENGINE, DEAD LEG
VERIFY with throttle and EGT
FEATHER & SECURE; RUDDER TRIM; 3 BANK INTO LIVE ENGINE
ACCELERATE TO 102kt if able
CIRCUIT & LAND

I read it aloud and go through the motions during backtracking and line-up on every takeoff, and add in where necessary for particular local situations, for instance if circuit & land is not the best option in a particular location. (I switch the audio to 'Pilot' or 'Crew' so the pax don't get all hot and bothered.)

And these are from the POH Emergency Procedures

ENGINE FAILURE DURING TAKE-OFF

Blue-Line Speed is 89kt; Best SE ROC is 102kt.

In the event of an engine fire or failure BELOW 89kt:

· IF STILL ON THE GROUND APPLY MAXIMUM BRAKING AND PULL UP STRAIGHT AHEAD.
· IF AIRBORNE ABANDON THE TAKEOFF, SHUT BOTH THROTTLES, LOCATE A SUITABLE SITE WITHIN 30 OF THE FLIGHTPATH AND LAND AT MINIMUM CONTROL SPEED – SHUT OFF FUEL & SWITCHES PRIOR TO IMPACT.

In the event of an engine failure ABOVE 89kt:

· CONTINUE THE TAKE-OFF.
· MAINTAIN DIRECTIONAL CONTROL, NOT BELOW 89kts.
· MAXIMUM RICH MIXTURE, MAXIMUM PROP PITCH, MAXIMUM THROTTLE.
· FLAPS UP and GEAR UP, using hand pump if LEFT ENGINE.
· IDENTIFY failed engine
· VERIFY with throttle and EGT
· FEATHER & SECURE; RUDDER TRIM; 3 BANK INTO LIVE ENGINE
· ACCELERATE TO 102kt if able
· IF UNABLE TO MAINTAIN ABOVE 89kt LOCATE A SUITABLE SITE WITHIN 30 OF THE FLIGHTPATH AND LAND AT MINIMUM CONTROL SPEED – SHUT OFF FUEL & SWITCHES PRIOR TO IMPACT
· CIRCUIT & LAND or other manoeuvre as deemed appropriate by PIC for circumstances

And here is the pax brief as well.......

FLIGHT BRIEF -
Flight Details Emergency Exits Smoking
Luggage Emesis Bags Electronic Equipment
Seating Intercom Flotation Devices
Seatbelts Look-Out Fire Extinguisher Survival Equipment Movement Oxygen

I would suggest you do as SG advised, but make your FLIGHT BRIEF and DEPARTURE & CAPTAINS BRIEF part of your routine pre-takeoff system in every aircraft you fly, not something you only dredge out for the annual renewal.

Please remember that light twins (even Aztecs too
) are not renowned for being able to climb on one fan. Make it part of your psychological mindset that an EFATO may very well mean a controlled crash on one engine.