PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2017, 17:32
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm way behind schedule on this project. Taking off a few months was intentional; this thing really wears on me for personal reasons and I needed a break. I had hoped to finish the write-up on the flight simulator, but it's at least a couple months away.

In addition, I'm exploring the prospects of animating the breakup, as contrasted to simulating the flight. The flight simulator was intended to play out real physics in a virtual world, to give my best approximation of the flight. But I have no access to the kind of tools it would take to simulate the impact and breakup. This would require vast amounts of structural data and probably a supercomputer to run the sim. But I should at least be able to use an animation tool to show what I think happened and make it more accessible to the reader/viewer. A side-effect of importing from the flight sim into an animation tool is that I can redo all my fairly crude line drawings with much better images. So I may delay the next version in order to at least do the import and redo images, before I get into the animation itself.

Meanwhile I've posted two interim files, which I've been circulating among my contacts since February. The first of these is a write-up of the missing engine puzzle discussed here in the thread. It will become a chapter in the next version. https://we.tl/2iOuz04If7

The second is an attempt to understand what was going on in the cockpit. This was pretty creepy, and is why I took a break from the project. This discusses the resources they had to work with, and I try to fit what they might have been doing into the time they had. A pilot friend said he'd forward this to an Electra instructor, but I don't have results yet. I would be very grateful to pilots for their feedback on this write-up and on whether I've come anywhere near the pacing of what would be going on under stress conditions like this. https://we.tl/x0L59Bpfmj