PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Deck Alarms and Conversations During Crash
Old 5th Aug 2017, 07:52
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbsy
Sorry for being late getting back to you but my wife is undergoing chemo therapy and had a bad few days. Anyway, more details.

The incident occurs soon after take off--an engine (on a two engine plane, exact model unspecified in the script but let's assume Airbus). There's an uncontained failure on one engine and shrapnel through the wing causes both a fire and a hydraulics failure. The crew struggles to get back to the airport but don't make it.

As structured, the alarm sounds will be more important than the conversation though the script does specify that their be radio calls between the flight deck and controllers t the airport.

That link from B2N2 has already been helpful but any further suggestions will be much appreciated.
Assuming an Airbus, it would probably go like this...

... "V1, rotate"
... "Positive climb"
... "Gear up"
... "gear up" (response)
... (sound of landing gear retracting)
... (incident occurs)
... (single master caution chime)
... "Engine 2 Fail"
... (continuous repetitive chime)
... "Engine 2 fire"
... (autopilot disconnect cavalry charge)
... "Autoflight: autopilot off"
... (someone) "I have control"
... "Hydraulic green and blue system low pressure"
... "Hydraulic green and yellow system low pressure(!)"
... "Alternate law"
... GPWS "Don't sink"
... GPWS "Bank angle"
... Flight warning computer "Stall, Stall"
... GPWS Whoop whoop, pull up (repeat until end)

As far as I know there is no recorded loss of control in flight in the phase immediately after take off on an Airbus. Might be worth reading the report on the DHL(?) which was struck by an RPG on climb out and lost hydraulics.

My experience from the sim is that in very difficult situations where all capacity is taken flying the aircraft is that the usual response is silence as people concentrate. You'll see on YouTube documentaries and training videos that the attitude to almost anything else is just relaxed and methodical.

The scenario above is not particularly plausible but at least the phraseology won't trigger a nervous twitch in pilots watching. I did try a triple hydraulic failure in the simulator once but it wasn't modelled by the system, with the aircraft promptly pitching up, stalling, and rolling onto its back. ;-)