PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 4th Aug 2017, 11:30
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My first-hand knowledge of the flying training system spans the period 1987-1993. I am clearly mistaken, but I had recalled that without apprx 30 hours powered flying (eg a Flying Scholarship) pilot trainees went firstly to EFTS on the Chipmunk. I think this scheme was preceded by one that involved a Flying Selection Sqn, again on the Chipmunk, but I don't know when this changed over. It does seem puzzling that, if these schools existed as I recall, that candidates with no flying experience were going straight to BFTS.
To be fair Brain you are correct. Sadly I am that old and I went through Flying Selection Squadron, just like JAJ. Those with no previous flying experience went to FSS, got 14 hours on the Chipmunk T10, were taken to solo standard but never sent solo and were only assessed as suitable to move on to BFTS or not; one or 2 from my course were assessed as not and went on to other branches. For the rest it was off to one of the 3 Basic FTSs (CF, Cwl or L-o-O) for the JP and our first solos.

For those worried about EFT with retractable undercarriages, well that's what runway caravans and flare pistols are for. Do we still have runway caravans and flare pistols?