PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 4th Aug 2017, 10:32
framer

Received 479 Likes on 129 Posts
This incident started to occur at less than 3nm visual finals to RW28R.
If I had to bet I would say that this incident started well before that. There is only one way that I can see that this occurred. The expectation of both pilots had to be that there would be a runway to the left of their final approach track and that they wanted the second one in. This expectation had to be pretty strong in order for "expectation illusion" to 'overpower' what they actually sensed when looking out the window.
It could have been a strong expectation because they had both flown into that airport at night from the East on many occasions, or because they briefed that that is what they would see, or both. Either way I can't see how it could have been such a strong expectation in both of them if they had read and understood the notam and the ATIS.
So when the report comes out ( and I may be wrong of course) , I think we will read that the nuts and bolts of this incident are to be found a long way prior to 3nm final.