PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2017, 10:12
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
Ah ... IMPORTED cargo, a heavy freighter needs less runway to land than it does to take off, so this was inbound freight only, hardly a profit making business if every other sector was a ferry flight.

Runway not long enough for a heavy MD11? ... The runway isn't long enough for a heavy DC8, DC10, B747, B777 or pretty much anything of a similar size, for a heavy one of those need a minimum of 10,000ft and then some.

8th largest in freight handled in 2011, well I can think of an obvious first four or five, three LON's, MAN & EMA, then I'd suggest we are scraping the barrel for numbers 6 and below!

Guess what the number 1 airport in Wales was during 2011? ... LOL
So you agree that there were substantial movements, there was substantial cargo, however because it was inbound and not outbound that still makes the runway too short

Guess what? Of the total freight Luton shifted last year, 80% was freight in and just 20% freight out. Stansted? 67% of the total freight was freight in.

Manston is viable as a freight hub. Imported fresh produce made up the bulk of its activity, and given its faster hold-to-truck-to-road times over Heathrow, Gatwick et al, the fresh produce got into the London markets quicker despite Manston being further away by road.

Harry, I suggest you stick to reminiscing rather than attempting to shoot people down, like the good Doctor, who might actually have a valid point.