PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the use of rwy length Beyond glideslope ?
Old 4th Aug 2017, 08:34
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
MFS, Hm Hmm.
We are considering the same issue, but perhaps from an engineering (theory) view vs my piloting (practical) view.

What factors are published for the crew to use (in flight); are they advisory or certification data, would such a calculation be acceptable to a regulator (ops or airfield) - before or after an overrun.
Assuming the use of OLD, where landing air distance would not be known, then ‘length beyond glideslope’ is of little (no) value.
‘Lawyers are always found in the long grass off the end of runways’.

Do Jepp airfield charts publish the values of distances for LDA and ‘length beyond glideslope’ together on the same chart?

Just to muddy the waters, I recall a terminology of “distance beyond glideslope” vice ‘runway’ which I understood included the geometric distance before the glideslope origin, thus would be equivalent to height over threshold and thus LDA, but see #23 below which is a less risky interpretation.
I wonder if the published term used in #1 is a corruption of this; differences in publishing, FAA culture …. Tedium of common definitions … anyone with an ICAO definition?

Previous discussion; http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/49840...available.html
Note #23