PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrorist plot thwarted?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2017, 06:05
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by QuarterInchSocket
I like the idea that someone pitched in a previous post... spend the money on something else like... pilot mental health, cabin crew threat identification and management training, drug and bomb sniffer dogs... anything but the useless screening equipment at the doors.

Don't get me wrong, aviation security needs continuous improving and monitoring which is an idea I support, but creating screening for the sake of "we have to do it, why don't they?" is rubbish.

I only hope the government and its agencies have the foresight to know how ineffective door and gate screening could be if they yield to ALPA's whim-of-the-day... and I trust they will.
One thing that could be done before increasing screening is to introduce AAA and make it mandatory for domestic flights. Currently ONLY Qantas uses triple-A domestically, Virgin does not and it is a close run thing whether a bag travels without the pax or not. Not through carelessness but through a lack of systemic approach. It is impossible for a bag to travel with a pax having been offloaded on QF unless someone deliberately does it. These are things the public doesn't know when choosing an airline, such as who spends money on the right technology to keep them safe. In the instance of baggage reconciliation it's Qantas.