PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 4th Aug 2017, 03:45
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcK
Is it possible that they were flying the "Quiet Bridge Visual 28L/R" without FMS guidance?
I've also wondered if somehow they had the wrong approach in the box or were looking at the wrong one on their tablets? Did they build a path or incorrectly heal a discontinuity that gave faulty guidance on final?

Can you pull up the Quiet Bridge Visual on the A320 FMS? Will it give guidance on final?

Some earlier opinions:

Originally Posted by ironbutt57
there are two, BOTH in the FMS database
Originally Posted by aterpster
Two FMS Visuals to 28R?
Originally Posted by West Coast
Only one FMS bridge visual in my database. You'd have to build the quiet bridge visual yourself.
Originally Posted by cappt
Just one, the RNV28R in our FMS.
You can see how much confusion there is on this thread about the two visual approaches to 28R with 'Bridge' in the name.

Since the dog ate the CVR tape, will the legacy FDR data show much about what was in the FMS?

Originally Posted by deSitter
Why didn't the first two planes bail off the taxiway? I can't imagine I'd just sit there and let someone land on my nose. What are your driver's instincts here?
Actually there was an accident three decades ago where an airliner taxiing for takeoff did swerve when seeing a commuting Eastern captain in an Apache coming out of the fog lined up on the taxiway. The Pan Am 727 moved enough to avoid a direct hit and took a glancing blow. The Apache was totaled with fatal results but everybody in the 727 evacuated successfully and the plane was repaired and flew again.

Jet at Tampa Airport Hit By Small Plane

By Bill McAllister November 7, 1986

A small twin-engine plane, flown by a senior airline pilot, crashed into a taxiing Pan American World Airways jet in dense fog at Tampa International Airport yesterday morning, killing the small-plane pilot as his aircraft broke apart in a fireball.

Officials said the death toll in the Florida accident would have been higher if the pilot of the Pan Am 727 had not spotted the approaching plane seconds before impact and swerved to avoid a head-on collision.

"That maneuver . . . prevented what could have been a much more serious accident," Pan Am spokesman Alan Loflin said. Two of the jet's 17 passengers and one of its six crew members suffered minor sprains sliding down the aircraft's emergency chutes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.a2fbba62c493