PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather Radar in Cavok Condition?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 13:48
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schooner
Leaving it turned on means you don't forget to turn it on when you may actually need it. Belt and braces.
Yes it's safer. It's also safer to fly with wings and engines anti ice ON in case we forget in icing conditions...lol. I wanted to say why not keeping also the gears down but since Air India... Haha. I mean it's just common sense. When we check the weather at dispatch and the satellite image shows clear sky, using the radar is just as useless as flying with the dome light on bright during day times like some guys love to do.

Originally Posted by STBYRUD
The people who turn it off to protect themselves from radiation also shouldnt be performing walkarounds next to powered up aircraft (radio altimeters, surprisingly high powered!)
Honestly, I'm not flying with radar off to protect myself but mainly to save on maintenance cost. I can still remember my former boss from a small charter company to repeatedly tell me to minimize the use of radar to preserve it.
I do not walk under the 4 RA antennas btw.

Originally Posted by wiedehopf
the radar beam is pointed forwards ... that is where the energy goes.
and there is plenty aluminium between you and that radar emitter. the microwaves bounce right off aluminium.

sometime i think people have no idea there is a difference between gamma rays and microwaves. oh well.
Well most people like me here are just pilots so yeah I have no clue. I will have a look. Haha

Originally Posted by testpanel
Talking about

Also some pilots try to make a nice landing (landing loooong) and once on the ground trying to make that intersection by hitting the brakes so hard, my ribs still hurt from the seatbelt....
Could not agree more... I hate it also.