PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 03:22
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underfire
Yes, certainly seems UAL 1 woke them up. In the image, not only does PAL have landing lights on, so does the next ac inline
And, some pilot stuff, those may be taxi lights on one or both of the planes in line, not the much brighter landing lights. Also, does the last aircraft in line have the logo lights off perhaps?

Either way, it is customary to have those taxi and landing lights off while you are parked with the brakes set waiting in the queue for a night departure. The taxi lights would normally be on while the aircraft is moving, back off when you stop. Also, if there is an aircraft on short final, most folks turn off the taxi lights even if moving to avoid blinding the landing crew. Until it looks like they are landing on top of you that is.

Originally Posted by BluSdUp
The CVR is overwritten and the crew can not recall overflying 4 aircraft!
WOW!
Yep, act surprised.

As we discussed earlier here:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
My guess is that after midnight Friday evening you're not going to have a lot of feds in the SFO office even if a report was immediately filed. The tower probably filled out an incident report but it may not have been seen until Monday morning when the media started calling about reports of the incident based on radio transmissions monitored by 'ham radio operators'. [looks like the NTSB was actually notified on Sunday, but after the AC 759 crew was long gone - Airbubba]

United 1 may have typed up a report on the way to SIN and filed it with the company but I would be surprised if it got much attention outside the airline over the weekend.

The Air Canada 759 pilots may have called ops, grounded themselves, fessed up to a near horrific mishap and waited to be deadheaded back to base on another carrier. Or, they may have filled out a couple of CYA safety reports and operated back to YYZ over the weekend before anyone noticed.

The AC crew probably has a policy to pull the Cockpit Voice Recorder circuit breaker and make a logbook entry for maintenance to remove the CVR after a 'reportable' incident. Did they? I wouldn't be surprised if they 'forgot' to do this based on some other incidents of this type.
Originally Posted by Airbubba
From today's Mercury News article, looks like it will be a while before the video is released in the NTSB incident docket:

Conspicuously absent is any mention of the cockpit voice recorder, my guess is that the crew 'forgot' to pull the circuit breaker. An honest mistake.
Originally Posted by SeenItAll
While we don't know yet whether the CVR was preserved, not pulling the CVR circuit breaker seems often to be item #1 on the After F*ck Up checklist.