PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 swashplate bearing HOT
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 03:14
Washeduprotorgypsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As yes , the "mom and pop" operation. Third party maintenance. Pop wears all the "regulatory title" hats, mom runs the books and the office. Economic realities dictate that nuisance snags are dealt with in "non textbook ways"
Pop may be a tyrant but he is probably well aware of the economic realities that come along with a fatal accident , remind him of this. That said , if your knowledge on type comes even close to his, run away as fast as you can. If his operational experience far outstrips yours. Listen, but always question.

It's been about 8 years since I last put a AS350 to bed, but as previously mentioned after fresh grease, I remember the swashplate check being a pat at most due to temperature. Seeing as it sounds like your maintenance department is non existent, I'd buy a handheld IR thermometer gun to quantify the temperature value creating your own standardized practice on post shutdown for your own peace of mind. A good tool to have in your "hat rack tool box" when operating in remote environments. If you have a open circuit in a oil temperature gauge, which causes it to peg to the high side. You 'll at least have a clue to the temperatures involved when troubleshooting.

Have fun. Paranoia can save your life, just make sure it doesn't get clinical.