PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrorist plot thwarted?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 22:53
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
All that increased security will do is destroy the careers of ground staff who did drugs ten years ago or got involved in petty crime. It will not increase security at all, merely give pilots a schadenfreude moment to see ground staff now as miserable as they are.

The thing pilots have forgotten is that ISIS linked terrorists are not stupid. They are not the idiots the AFP catches who attend dodgy mosques and research and discuss their plans over phones and the internet.

The real bad guys have military explosives training, a covert support network with excellent research capability, an effective security and communication system and plenty of money. You will not catch them with some ASIC card check or see them mouthing off about infidels in some Lakemba mosque. If they mount an operation, they will use cleanskins with all the documentation and security cards. One can only hope ASIO is disrupting their operations in secret.

To put that another way, the calibre of AFP operations and the clowns they have arrested and charged do not seem to me to be that professional. Neither do the acts of terrorism, however vile, already perpetrated in Australia because they were committed by self radicalising arse*****s and nutters. I fail to see why we need increased visible "security theatre" to combat them.

However the above is my opinion. The threats may be worse and more consistent. We will never know from reading "The Australian".