PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job in USA as a European?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 13:47
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickPrime
I am aware of the FAA 1500 hour rule, as a rookie that is something that would put me off starting my career in the USA.
MP,

While we wait for the more knowledgeable folks to arrive, I'll just add that the 1500 hour rule applies to FAR Part 121 operators, what you'd recognize as "airlines", i.e., pax, freight. Since it's not a starting point anyway don't be put off by it. FAR Part 135 requires less, the details of which escape me at the moment.

Flight instructing is a frequent (but certainly not the only) starting point and the USA is stretched for CFIs these days. We even have a few organizations conducting training here under EASA but I get the impression getting an EASA instructor ticket is a pretty pricey thing. FAA licenses would quickly become a requirement. Here's just one as an example:

Pilot-Fixed Wing job at CAE Oxford Aviation Academy - Certified Flight Instructors

There are others.

One issue from your post involves your lady friend. Can she work anywhere in the USA or will her line of work narrow her choice to a particular geographic area ? The reason I ask is that any entry level spot you might get would most likely require your living where you work vs living where you want and commuting; this may also influence YOUR available choices when/if that time comes.

Good luck in the hunt.