PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 13:32
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aterpster
Looks good in Aviation Leak (Week). As you suggest, not nearly ready for prime time.

We (as in the U.S.) haven't really solved the problem of a 737 landing atop a commuter carrier at LAX, or, for that matter, assuring the runway is clear at an LAX when I am making a CAT III autoland in RVR 600 conditions.
On the contrary, the problem has been solved in different ways several times. I have worked with one that was a distributed radar systems that could show and track individual pedestrians and the display was set up like a full airport simulator allowing the ground controller to zoom a point of presence anywhere on the airport and aircraft and vehicles were shown as 3D models of the aircraft/vehicle being picked up and tracked by the radar.
But as it would never happen that an aircraft could land on an occupied runway or taxiway - it wasn't seen as something necessary . Out of some of that research came Aerobahn by SAAB/SENSIS

Aerobahn Now Available for iPad and Android Tablets