PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trumps Bars Transgender From Military
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2017, 19:06
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,591 Likes on 728 Posts
Since transgenderism cannot be tested for, if a transgender person selects the military, they are an atypical transgender person
There is a reputable study that shows those who are transgender are twice to three times more likely to join the military as heterosexuals.

Why? Some perhaps because it allows them to escape from their home life and persecution. However for many it is an attempt to retreat from the truth and attempt to be the most masculine they can be. Which why why you also find a higher proportion in the Marines, Seals etc. But eventually you realise that you can't hide from yourself.

I served 24 years in the RAF then 13 years with a military multinational before I admitted the truth to myself. I think in retrospect I was clinically depressed most of the time - but very good at my job. For most of that time I knew I was living a lie and, undoubtedly, was less effective than I could have been. It was the RAF who lost out as much as I did through those years of lies.

In the same years that I saw many excellent officers and airman being thrown out for being gay I was also investigated when they found out I had been buying TG informationL leaflets and books. They allowed to stay because of my skills but I was warned I had to abandon reading such materials and I would never be promoted. WhT was even more crushing was the attitude of my superiors, including those who I considered my friends who were "in the loop" and subsequently shunned me. Even years later on a tour outside the branch my OC took me aside and told me he did not know why, but he had been told that my 1369 was at best to read "Unlikely to become fit" for promotion.

In short, I have walked the walk, and know the pain, and would like to meet face to face anyone who would claim I should never have been allowed to serve Nd should have been thrown out.