PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2017, 18:12
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys seem really wedded to the definition of "deep stall" being limited to the particular blanked stabilizer phenomenon in T-tails. Or otherwise diminished pitch authority. Fine, I'll live with it. Nevertheless, this airplane was very deeply stalled.

And Turbine D, there's no need to act like an about it.

Originally Posted by Concours77
I have flown this maneuver, albeit in a small plane. Unless rudder and aileron are strictly controlled, the aircraft acts like a man trying to stand on a bowling ball. It leaks to the side, falls forward, or even seems to slip backward. It is exhilarating,

[...]

Also, this aircraft is longitudinally stable, it resists emphatic changes in Pitch something the "trim tabs" though recorded, had little effect...upon.

Once the aircraft "settled in", it may actually have seemed docile.
This is an interesting point. Normally, if you asked anybody, they would say that a transport airplane should have docile stall characteristics, so as to limit workload (and potential for further upset) in a recovery. Now, it seems to me at least plausible that this docile behavior contributed to a lack of stall identification by the crew. Talk about a double edged sword!

Originally Posted by Concours77
Perhaps better to enlist PPLs to fly this family? At least the Stall would be no less baffling to them. Perhaps retire them out of type after 2000 hours?
Well, everything I wrote about the airline flying experience wrt. the maintenance of basic flying skills outside the normal airline profiles, applies equally to non-Airbus types. So, we'd be in a real pickle if we apply that solution industry-wide! (I know you're being tongue in cheek, of course.)