PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrorist plot thwarted?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2017, 16:28
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
As someone who is potentially at risk if one of these nutters succeeds, i feel that I am at least entitled to express an opinion.

If we took a step back and looked at the bigger, broader picture, which is what is killing our friends, loved ones etc, the answer isnt religious based terrorism, it isnt driving half a km/hr over the speed limit, it isnt a whole bunch of things that we regularly throw money at.

It is cancer, it is heart disease, it is suicide and mental health issues, negative health outcomes caused by the medical profession just to name a few.

I reckon we would get more value for money trying to save more people rather than spending on airport security theatre, "every k kills" bull**** ad campaigns amd other such populist nonsense.

By all means have an effective security apparatus at the airport, an effective surveillance and intelligence capability to stop nutters from doing stuff, but lets focus our efforts where we can really save lives.

After all this all ramped up after 9/11, a tragic event that needlessly took the lives of 3-4000 people (sorry cant remember the correct number) but taking a broader, less emotional view, only 3-4000 people, compared to the millions killed by the other causes.

If we invest in cancer research, in research into heart disease, in research into mental health and suicide prevention, we will save far more people than we have by throwing dollar after dollar into the pocket of people whose only incentive is trade on our fear, and the fear of our politicians, when they recommend tighter and stricter security measures at airports etc.

On a per head saved basis, the investment in aviation security in particular, would not pass the pub test if it were relabelled and presented to the general public for review.