PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bear Grylls & Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2017, 11:01
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorspeed... Thank you for your cogent explanation, and I would like to think any CAA approval was on that basis and I sure the operator would not not act in a negligent way. I feel sure that the Wessex that I saw almost crash onto a lifeboat was a Mk 3 (single turbine).

In respect of SARwannabe, I might have an axe to grind, probably yes like the RNLI, read below.

"Bear Grylls criticised by RNLI after he leaves own son stranded on island rocks, TV survival expert unwittingly enlists RNLI in training exercise by leaving 11-year-old off coast of private island before inviting lifeboat crews to save him" (The Telegraph).

Regarding jumping off into the sea off cliffs, I agree it's probably more dangerous, as there are alot of 'unknowns', yet BG still does it in TV shows, without pointing the dangers, again this would not fit with the RNLI and lifeguard safety culture, they advise against it.

Getting back to my axe to grind with BG, in a sense he is an ideal person to head the UK Scout Association, although I would prefer Ray Mears, but he needs to lead by example, in terms of safety, because I am aware that on a local level the Scouts, Guides and cadet forces have very good safety culture. He clearly thinks he is still a reserve in the SAS, and there is a difference when working with children to the SAS.