PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More bad publicity for UK GA in the press today
Old 1st Aug 2017, 00:23
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Sata
Well if you go down that road Piperboy what about N reg aircraft in the UK and Europe often registered to obscure Delaware organisations? The reason criminals like N reg aircraft is the lack of supervision in Europe by the FAA.

I can't register my UK car with an American plate so how come non US citizens can register an aircraft that is based in Great Britain or Europe with the FAA?
Not sure about that Jay, I don't think criminals put too much thought into what registration the aircraft is when they're planning on using one to commit a crime, no more so than a bank robber cares if he's using a chevy or a ford as a getaway car. But if I was a criminal the absolute last choice would be to use an N reg knowing just how far the Feds will go with applying their laws extraterritorily on the most remote of connections then extraditing if they really want to get someone (Think FIFA bosses indictment) . I suppose the folks mentioned above who were smuggling with N Regis are not on the Feds radar for anything else but if they were and they wanted to lock em up stateside they would most definitely use the fact they were flying an N reg while committing a crime to get hold of them, that or the fact that any N Reg being used outside the US must have a Federal radio license would be another legal excuse they'd use to get you into an orange boilersuit if they really wanted you for something you were dodging them on, especially if an American was a victim. The Feds tend to view other countries including European ones as mere vassals when it comes to doing something they really want to do. Also, Finding out details of an N reg owned by a Delaware corp takes about 2 minutes to look up online.