PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2017, 10:31
Slatye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboProp2120
Flight school is offering options of either Warrior or C172 for my PPL.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on either aircraft for PPL training? Pros, cons etc. Currently training on the Warrior for RPL.
They're both fine training aircraft.

My 172 experience is from the "fancy" models (172XP and 172RG) so it might not carry over perfectly. The key differences:

Pre-flight - Warrior is much easier to refuel, and it's easier to check fuel quantity (because the wings are at a reasonable height). Flaps being fully manual (rather than electric in the 172) means that you don't have to turn on the masters to check the flap hinges. On the other hand, the high wing on the 172 makes it easy to do your fuel drains, check flap/aileron hinges, etc - without crawling around on the ground. Two doors on the Cessna make it much easier to get into and out of, and the big (opening) windows are great in summer. The rear window on the 172 isn't used all that much, but it is nice to be able to see behind you before doing the run-ups.

Circuits - both the 172s that I've flown really like to stay stuck to the ground - you have to lift them off when you get to the appropriate airspeed. The Warrior tends to lift itself off as soon as it got to the target airspeed, and in gusty conditions you have to make sure that it stays down until you're ready to fly. The low-wing on the Warrior makes turns very easy (because you can see where you're turning), but also means that you can't see the ground so easily. For landing, I find the Warrior much more forgiving of extra speed; the 172 really has to be pretty slow before it'll make a decent landing.

Training area - the low-wing on the Warrior can be annoying when you're circling down for an emergency landing (you can lose sight of the target field), or for low passes during a precautionary search and landing. Of course, the Cessna's wing tends to block the field too as soon as you try to turn towards it.

Navigation - the big difference is the fuel tanks. Warriors need the tank changed every hour or so; the 172 just stays on "both" more-or-less permanently. Both are fine aircraft for navigation. I also find that the trim in the 172 is very sensitive; a centimeter up or down on the wheel makes a big difference. In the Warrior you can trim quite a lot without too much change. Neither is "better", just different.

If you're planning to continue flying on larger/faster planes, it'd be worth asking the school what their next level up is. Do they use a 172RG/R182, or do they go to an Arrow? The 172RG is likely to be an easier transition if you've trained in a 172, and the Arrow is likely to be an easier transition if you've trained in a Warrior.

Edit: apart from that, check the practicalities. If the school has one Warrior and one 172, and the Warrior gets used for all the RPL training as well as half the PPL training, then you're much more likely to be able to book time in the 172 for your PPL training. Check the instruments; when you start doing navigation exercises it is nice to have two radios, ADF/NAV (even if there aren't many NDBs and VORs left), GPS, etc.

Last edited by Slatye; 31st Jul 2017 at 10:48.