PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Authority to view pilot licence.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2017, 07:14
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just after high viz became the latest must have in aviation I got a call from my Flight Ops Inspector, he was completing a new FOI's training and wanted to use my aircraft, and me for the trainee's final sign off for ramp checks. The following day I landed at a large south of England airport and the fun started. New FOI asked to ramp check my aircraft, "Certainly, but its' in a mandatory high viz area." His high viz was in his car, so he was sent back half a mile to get it. It was a hot day and his high viz was one of the famous CAA anoraks. His trainer and I chatted about some ops manual amendments I had just sent in and a few things that were up and coming.

Trainee arrived back."Before we go out to the aircraft I have a right to see your warrant, and certificate of approval to carry out this check." He looked blank; "Show me your blue book, please." Trainee was now sweating from stress and the fact that on one of the hottest days that year he was in the full CAA high viz. Trainer was behind him, trying not to have hysterics. "My warrant is in the car." I was about to send him back to the car when his trainer asked for mercy, pointing out that the awkward squad always enjoy a ramp check.

The trainee passed that day, eventually he became my FOI and is a good friend, but everytime we met he produced his blue book, including at his daughter's wedding.

SND