PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair passengers are taking the piss
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2017, 06:29
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local airline doesn't offer child discounts, any person that occupies a seat pays full fare whether they be 3 years old or 73 years, and each full fare comes with a 7kg hand baggage allowance, and reading that Ryanair like to charge up to GBP90 for a 20kg checked-in baggage, bl00dy hell, I'd give my kid the allowed 7kg hand bag to carry also.

Whilst, to a beancounter, a seat is a seat thus may just have one price tag attached to it the airline are saving money if it is occupied by a child rather tan an adult, it costs circa 5% per hour in fuel to carry per kg so if the airline may be carrying 50kg less in a child than an adult then that is 2.5kg of fuel per hour they are saving, if they then try to stipulate that a child is not entitled to the inclusive hand baggage allowance then the airline's saving is even greater.

How do the airline's get around this?:

They offer a discounted child fare with special terms & conditions attached regarding a reduced, if any, baggage allowance that may reflect the airline's actual charge for checked-in baggage and it be the parents prerogative if they opt to pay a full fare or a discounted child fare.

Are the airline's likely to do this?:

No

Why?:

The beancounters!