PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can't believe I'm asking this
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 12:19
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustOneMoreQuestion.
Unfortunately, I'm going to go with not the world's best training. The school I attended had a very high pass rate, but I think that was probably because the examiner was a little too lenient (not sure what tolerances there are). When I took my test, I messed up on two parts, and was given a hint and another opportunity. Obviously, I was grateful, but can't help but think it wasn't for the best. I know full well that I need a bit more practise with an instructor before I do much flying, and I was aware it was Class D and the reasons for this (Thanks alex90 and PC).

I think I worded my question badly, making me appear slightly thicker than I actually am.

My instructor had a particular way of doing things which I think wasn't great. I didn't do PFLs until my 43rd hour (so after my QXC) and didn't even start on VOR until 2 lessons before my test as he thought I'd already covered it :/

Basically, I understand that obviously, around airports, there need to be routes for the airliners etc to descend etc etc, but what I couldn't quite get my head around is why in some places there is so much Class D airspace, and then when you get into Scotland, there's literally a few airports, but everywhere else is Class G.

I do get it, so thanks for those that made their contributions. To the guys that just rip the sugar out of me, I get that I may ask some stupid sounding questions, and I'm sorry, but hey ho.
Because it's not a good flying day for me, and I'm concerned that a flying school somewhere has given a licence here. I'm going to have another go.
First.
Flying schools do not have a "pass rate". Students will either pass the GFT in a month or they may take years, or give up and leave.
The fact that controlled airspace is more crowded in the south is because there are more airfields close together down there than up here.
Every student pilot will be shown/will buy, a chart and be taught what classes of controlled airspace is for and why. Long before any test.
You didn't start VOR until two lessons before your test.
I don't think it is referred to as VOR, it is "radio navigation". And if you haven't grasped it your instructor would not put you through for the test until you had.
Test day does not just arrive at a particular time, you get recommended for the test when your instructor thinks you have learned enough to pass, not at the end of a time period.
"He thought I'd already covered it". No, he has your training record and the syllabus to hand.
The syllabus follows a sequence, signed for and followed by the instructor, any instructor can look at your record of progress and depending on that and the weather he will formulate the lesson. Not necessarily in 1,2,3,4 sequence but close enough.
Either your school was a bunch of utter Cowboys or fiddling your records I don't know.
Get your training records from the flying school and take them to a well known other school and discuss it with them.
There is something lacking in the basic understanding of flight training.
And I am not ripping the sugar out of you.
I'm more concerned for your, and everyone else's safety.