PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massive hailstorm in Istanbul 27.07.2017
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 08:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're in climb or descent and under ATC what are you supposed to do with your own weather radar? Do you cancel your ATC instruction?

Agreed. Safety of the flight is captain's responsibility.

Thunderstorm about 6 or 7 miles north of the runway at touching the edge of the first waypoint where we will make a 90 degree turn. Some flights are asking tower for an early turn with approval but that suggestion by me is ignored by the PIC. After all...we will just ask departure for an early turn.

Was at a reasonable quiet airfield, but No.2 for departure, and luckily the taxiway approaching the Hold was pointing in take off direction. The sky ahead looked grey & unfriendly. We lit up the radar to scan the SID. Not nice. We called tower to ask Departure ATC for either; an opposite early left turn, or an extended climb out (across a national border) by 10nm and then the 270 right turn in the normal direction. All coordinated before we launched and stressless. Tower did not have radar and Departure was a remote location. ATC are a member of the team, but you are the captain/manager & coach, ultimately. Use all resources.