PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gympie... More Talkies Please!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 04:02
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
A serious question --- I wonder what criteria is being used to determine whether a "near miss" ( I prefer near hit, doesn't a near miss mean you almost missed, but didn't --- and near hit is commonly used elsewhere), has occurred?

In the Sydney area, such is the silly nonsense perpetrated by the "pingya" brigade, that sighting an aircraft in the windscreen, anywhere outside a circuit area seems to constitute a "near miss".

It is some time ago now, after political pressure, that ATSB investigated one "occurrence" reported by a "highly experienced and qualified" pilot (which he is, based on hours, licenses and ratings) south west of Camden.

Turns out the "separation" in Class G airspace was, determined by radar traces, to be 5km. plus laterally and 900 ft or so vertically ---- near miss?? At least the complainant's eyesight is good, that he even saw the "conflicting traffic".

As a second of too many similar examples, a very well known retired domestic Captain reported: (Oh! Shock! Horror!) I had to change heading to avoid the other aircraft. This was in Class G below 5000', central Victoria.

The thought: "Toughen up, Princess" does spring to mind.
Tootle pip!!