PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 swashplate bearing HOT
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 18:58
Wiggins61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorfan
I agree with riff_raff, and would even modify his statement by saying 180degF would be too hot for anyone to touch.

I work on high precision machining equipment for my business. While touring a machine with a new laser thermometer in hand, I was checking the temps of all sorts of mechanisms. I was particularly interested in the hydraulic system, knowing from too many experiences that pumps and valves had inflicted pain. What's this? Only 125degF (52C) hurt enough that I couldn't touch it for 2 seconds without yanking my hand away. I was fascinated to realize how little above our body temperature was the threshold of pain. It's also interesting that poking my finger in a cuppajoe might feel hot, though it might not be as hot as I prefer to drink it.

As riff_raff says, it may seem quite hot to our touch, and yet nothing to tough steel. It needs to be actually measured and then investigated. Feeling hot to the touch could mean 130 or 530, just irrelevant.
Not unusual for a swashplate to run hot especially after being lubricated or newly installed. Hot to the touch means nothing. Easy enough for maintenance to check the condition of the bearing by disconnecting the pitch links, drive link and spinning the rotating ring. Nothing wrong with being cautious but you should be offered an explanation. The three I usually offer up are, "they're all like that", "it's the gauge" or "I can't fix it".