PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Service Flight Engineer
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 18:39
Oharry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patrick Harrington

[I]Patrick Harrington was my uncle. My father Lar, was his brother. It's amazing to read that you carried his coffin. We often spoke of the tragedy of his death. He is now survived by one of his sisters. The rest of his siblings are deceased. Prior to my fathers death he tried to find an article that Paddy wrote for the RAF magazine for which he won a prize but we couldn't track it down. There are currently 3 Patrick Harringtons' in the family.
Originally Posted by Lancman
I had a rather odd experience recently when I was searching on the internet for details of a family grave in Athy, County Kildare. I came across the grave of Patrick Harrington “Died in an aircraft accident in 1952”. He was a National Service Flight Engineer and was killed in a Shackleton crash from Ballykelly. He was due to be de-mobbed the following week and only went on that flight to complete his 500 hours. I was in charge of the bearer party that carried his coffin to the Dublin train from Londonderry. It felt decidedly weird to see his name again after all these years.