PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JT leaving Virgin this week
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 15:05
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieMaree
This is absolute bulls**t. When he was at Qf he had the same hang up. It was a point of principle for him. The problem was the horse had bolted long before he got to the mailroom. No pilot was going to give it up to a man who was hung up. It can be argued til the cows come home there is a real cost if pilots pax in first or business class as a right.
If a customer wants that seat in an otherwise full cabin and he/ she goes to another airline or travels in a lower class then I guess there is a dollar cost to the airline but other than that it is JBs version of class warfare.
The trouble is that any real cost gets drowned in the principle bulls**t.
In the 89 dispute it was one of the first things that the rebuilt Airlines did: get rid of pilots paxing in other than economy. JB didn't have such an opportunity and will carry the predjudice to the grave.
But it's a demented argument. The damage to the 'integrity' of the cabin is in his mind only and it is a form of class warfare... I'm a CEO and I'm important so I should travel up the front because I have special powers that negate any damage me sitting there might make to the integrity of the cabin but a pilot - or for that matter, an employee who is being asked to fly somewhere and work immediately will be instantly spotted and that will dilute the product.

Absolute bull****... it always was, even at the other operator. It was a concession that came from way back in the past. It's a form of OH&S... it's not because of an entitlement, it's because it's a logical thing to do.

It's not like QF are the only airline in the world that does it, most do. This hangup of his has been around a long, long, long time and he obviously 'acquired' it from the small number of people who couldn't think of anything better to do than complain about other's perceived 'entitlements'.

Those that aren't hung up about it are usually concentrating on other things like, say, ensuring the company makes a profit... Always suspicious of people like him that are fixated on 5c issues like this - it makes you realise why the bigger picture isn't being attended to.