PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USN C-2 Greyhounds
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 08:52
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Interesting to me to see my own memory was not so faulty re Trackers approaching MELBOURNE in the early days - after that we see from this e-mail from an old S2E/G pilot - then LSO in USofA on exchange - that the situation changed and changed again:
"...the question re Tracker Deck landing technique? All my landings prior to going to the USN on exchange (January 1973) were normal powered approaches to the deck & on touchdown full power selected until hook engagement ensured- i.e. same as the A4! That all changed for me when I went to the USN -Trackers/ S2 CODs flew the Cut pass to improve Boarding Rate - Turbo Props i.e. E2 & Greyhound Cod flew normal Powered approaches to the deck same as the Jets.

As an LSO on CVW11 & VS35 /VS38 I waved Trackers/S2 COD's with Cut passes & F4's/A7's/A6's'/EA6B's/ EA3's/E2's/Greyhound COD's with normal powered approaches into the wires. The Jet Puke LSO's didn't want to Wave Prop Pukes anyway-particularly @ 0200!!

Meanwhile back @ home influence was brought to bear- probably from the USN trained Tracker Pilots & LSO's & around about 1974 cut passes were trailed/introduced both for MADDL's [our & RN FAA term for USN FCLPs] & DL's to improve boarding rate etc.

I didn't go back to the Melbourne Deck until 1982 with VS816 [Trackers] as SP & Terry... was CO - I think Froggy ... or possibly ... was CAG LSO & my memory is a bit weak but I was in favour of the powered approach over the cut - my opinion the "cut" allowed the Pilot to be "slack" - fly the aircraft into a ballpark position & leave the responsibility to the LSO to "cut" onto the deck! Anyway I vaguely seem to Remember for the last Melbourne Cruise (1981) Tracker/Seaking/Wessex that we did a bit of each ie. If Boarding Rate an issue- rough conditions/Admiral /Captain/BigF (FDO?) with knickers in a knot then a Verbal Cut or Cut Lights could be given or if above not an issue then the pass flown to the deck as a normal powered approach! Obviously briefed etc. With the LSO calling the shots! Other better qualified or memorized folk may dispute the latter- I'll just claim the 5th or whatever!..." via e-mail

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 29th Jul 2017 at 11:11. Reason: bolding