PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF 1918-2018
Thread: RAF 1918-2018
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 22:57
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
'My thoughts are that it may turn into just that, with the Royal Air Force being almalgamated into the Army Air Corps as a cost saving measure once our Lords & Masters have let us celebrate the centenery .

Now there is an idea - give the useful bits to the FAA and AAC and get rid of the rest including the RAF Regiment and Handbrake Houses.

Think of the cost savings achieved not having to supply a uniform similar to the Royal Auto Club. Combats, surv equipment and sea going needed only.
What utter tripe. The FAA & AAC have 'best' parade uniforms and, I suspect administrative facilities, the latter would be unlikely to have the capacity to cope with the influx of ex-RAF personnel so would at least need expanding. Most likely the ex-RAF admin would also have to crossover too, along with ATC, engineers etc. The airfields (the FAA & AAC would need additional airfields to cope with the extra aircraft) would require guarding as well so extra regiments would be needed from the army & the Marines to guard them in time of war.....or just keep the RAF Regiment, rebadged.

The number of times I hear this b***ocks about how much would be saved by getting rid of the RAF - just changing the uniforms won't save anything, there might be some rationalisation of support but you can't just scrap the lot & pass it to existing HQs without having to expand them negating any saving. The only way to save buckets of money would be to get rid of capabilities- aircraft, squadrons etc. Which roles currently supported by the RAF do you consider redundant, gijoe, and so needn't be provided by the FAA or AAC.