PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 28th Jul 2017, 20:56
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airbubba
Predictably, the union paints the AC 759 pilots as heroes for doing a go-around when told to do so by the tower
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
The union doesn't appear to have said that, and indeed the timeline established by the TSB soon after the event indicates that the crew were already going around at the point where ATC issued the GA instruction.
Union spokesman Chris Praught praised the AC 759 pilots thusly:

“It is a testament to the expertise and professionalism of the highly trained crew that they were able to ensure that the flight arrived safely at its destination.”
A somewhat less generous assessment of the crew performance from one of the professional pilots on this thread:

Originally Posted by BluSdUp
There is no excuse whatsoever for what these two chaps did and they better have preserved the CVR.
We need it to understand how it was possible and prevent other incompetent crew doing the same.
And for now : No more night visuals.
It is rather simple. They could not do the basic task of identify the rwy.
Give me a break.
They were about to possible triple the standing world record of aviation fu..ups.

Sorry for not being all cudely and understanding about this.
There has to be limits.
As for the tower calling the go-around, we'll see, as one news report put it, emphasis mine:

New data obtained exclusively by this news organization add to the picture, showing that the Air Canada plane was just flying over a second fully loaded Philippine Airlines jet at 106 feet in the air — still continuing its descent — when an SFO air traffic controller finally warned him to abort his landing. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said in its initial report that the Air Canada pilot did not begin his “go-around” until the air traffic controller told the pilot to pull up.
SFO near-miss: Air Canada flew over plane before aborting

Either way, as I said here earlier:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Whether AC 759 initiated the go around before or after the ATC call, 100 feet AGL is way too low to figure out they were over the taxiway.