PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Georges chapel - RAF Biggin Hill
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 17:27
whisperair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, a heartfelt thank you to all those who took the time to sign Rita Radford's petition. At the time of writing this (Friday 1730), the total number of signatories stands at 8,804.

My apologies to those of you for whom the link didn't work (this includes me too this evening) and to those residing in foreign climes whose postcodes flummoxed 38 Degrees software, thank you for your interest too.

The meeting took place on Tuesday as advertised and Rita Radford read a stirring statement to a packed Council chamber as to why the project should not go ahead in its current form. She cited amongst other reasons, the appalling design and the destruction of the chapel's Grade 2 listed vestry. She wondered also why a previous scheme promulgated by the (now defunct but still watching with interest) Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Supporters Club and which had already been granted planning permission, had been ignominiously dismissed in favour of this new stark and unsuitable edifice? 'This will not be a heritage centre, more of a visitor centre' she said.

One Councillor who spoke in favour of the design, caused some disbelieving mirth from the objectors in the public gallery, by insisting that the design blended seamlessly with the fabric of the original building and that the matter of approval - or otherwise was, in any event subjective. Exactly!

Having all been given a private 'pep talk' prior to the meeting, only three Councillors felt able to speak out against the motion, which was subsequently carried.

Both local Councillors and the local MP Jo Johnson support the project as it stands.

The haste with which this project is being pushed through is in order for it to be opened in time for Sunday 11th November 2018. So, is an unpopular and unsatisfactory scheme to be foisted upon the most famous fighter station in the world just to satisfy political vanity?

The battle however is not yet over. Rita Radford and her supporters are still out there campaigning for what, whether you are currently serving, went through the OASC or, like me, just an old 'Biggin Hillbilly' who remembers the Hunters, the 'Open Days' and playing footie on the artificial pitch in the hangar, one of the most important places in the world, at one of the most important times in history and must be commemorated accordingly.

Please follow Rita's thread on the next page and if there is ANYTHING you feel you can do to help her campaign, I know just how grateful she and everyone else who cares for St George's, the memory of all those who have served at Biggin and the history which oozes out of every inch of that old airfield, will be.

Update: The campaign features on BBC1 London News this evening

Thank you.

Last edited by whisperair; 28th Jul 2017 at 21:46. Reason: Overtiredness and update