PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:36
addscalamity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heli1
Great to see those transport pix. Alan and later Bryan Collins were great supporters of the BRM/ Helicopter Museum and we built a great rapport with the very professional transport team. The most interesting move was moving the Hind from East Germany to Weston super Mare.
We were told to reduce the height to 13ft 9in as I recall to fit on their especial low trailer.We did that but when the trucks arrived they discovered the bridges were lower than in the west.....Our team had to work through the night to reduce the height still further and to avoid the convoy missing the booked ferry back from the Hook of Holland. Great memories and many thanks to those guys.it was a great shame when the company later closed down the transport department and outsourced.Thos guys really knew what they were doing and we had absolute trust in them. Thanks wherever you are.
This is a story I have heard a few times, my uncle was driving the lorry. It's really nice of you to take the time to thank the transport team. As a boy, he would take me all over in his truck. Of all the jobs he did, Bristows is the one he speaks of the most. He loved that job, he loved the challenge of turning up to a field, in the snow and helping to recover a helicopter, or going to France and picking up new heliporters. He said it offered challenges that no other job did. He always most fondly of the people though, the people of Bristows and the many other companies he dealt with, he always had a soft spot for the engineers and the amazing things they could do with very little, in the middle of a field, surrounded by snow lol

You're right, it was a shame they closed it down