PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:24
addscalamity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Ed
Ferry Land

Many off us have faced the interesting challenge of ferrying aircraft by land, sea or air. I remember one of my Cyprus 412s arriving by lorry at Redhill 11 years ago....here are a few others......

There are many reasons why helicopters are moved about by lorry :
- It may have been damaged in an accident and needs to be transported to a place of repair.
- It may need transporting to the docks, in kit form, for an onward journey by ship.
- Scrapped or out of "useful life" machines need moving to museums or breakers yards.
- etc etc.

Below are just a few examples of the jobs carried out by Redhill's transport team.

29th April 1986.
Westland Widgeon from Warden Park school, Cuckfield, Sussex to British Rotorcraft Museum, Weston-Super-Mare, Avon.

13th May 1986.
Westland Whirlwind, ex Warden Park school, on its way to East Midlands Aero Park, Donington, Derby.

6th March 1986.
Westland Wessex about to board the Red Funnel ferry at Southampton on its way to Cowes, Isle of Wight. Probably on its way to the breakers yard. Sad.

13th March 1986.
Bell 212 arriving at Redhill's main hangar after a pick up from Tilbury Docks.

April 1993.
Transportation of Aerospatiale SA321F Super Frelon from Marignane to The International Helicopter Museum,Weston-Super-Mare.
At the time this was probably the largest helicopter to be moved by road in Europe and took a total of ten days.

Early nineties.
A couple of Bell 212s departing Redhill on their way to a UN contract in Somalia.

"Rotor Runner II" and "Blade Runner II" - 1999.
"RR II" has a Tiger on board.

Wow these pictures take me back to my childhood. I believe all these pictures are of my uncles trucks and more spesifically jobs that my uncle did. If you have anymore please let me know.