PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USN C-2 Greyhounds
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:23
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'megan' / 'CaptainDart' I learn something new every day. Here is a comment from an A4G LSO about the Tracker/S-2E/G technique aboard MELBOURNE. Now I understand the comment on the JPG attached showing an RAN Tracker about to catch No.1 wire with 'MEATBALL' our first A4G LSO in attendance. Never did EMCON in A4G in my time onboard. MELBOURNE mirror JPG shows One Red Cut Light (lights duplicated on tuther side).
"There were cut lights on the mirror and they were activated by the ‘pickle’ switch in the LSO’s hand. The LSO activated the cut lights depending on where the S2 was as it was crossing the roundown- a little earlier if high/fast; a little later if low/slow with the aim of picking up a 3 wire. When the pilot saw the cut lights illuminate, power back to idle and ‘set’ the landing attitude. Trackers rarely boltered but you had to keep an eye on them to call a bolter as the LSO was the first to know.

The cut lights were also used for Jets during EMCON (no radio transmissions unless required). As the aircraft turned onto final they were activated to acknowledge the (silent) ball call. Thereafter a blip of the cut lights for a power call unless a concise transmission was necessary. BTW more than once a Tracker crew were waved off in close because the LSO hit the wrong switch!"
The last JPG shows MELBOURNE MIRROR with a row of Vertical Lights on the other side - however they are not seen in an early MELBOURNE MIRROR photo so I guess these were added at some time. Getting more information about this. Then there is the Portable Mirror at NAS Nowra on RW 26 near 'J' Hangar, with an odd light combo. Another FAAM Mirror Inside shows the extra lights but they are not on Sea Venom/Gannet era Mirror nor on early A4G/S2 era Mirror so I'll guess added later. But what were they? Last JPG shows Venom/Gannet MELBOURNE era with 6 wires & 2 mirrors.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
LSOpickleSwitchNEV.gif (32.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
MELBOURNEmirrorCutLightFAAM.jpg (990.7 KB, 25 views)
FAAMmirrorMELBOURNEoutside.jpg (1.36 MB, 20 views)
FAAMmirrorMELBOURNEinside.jpg (1.31 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 28th Jul 2017 at 12:44. Reason: Extra Lights JPG & INFO + FAAM Mirror Outside