PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:21
Dobbo_Dobbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VS future at MAN

Hi All

In light of yesterday's announcement that the DL/VS transatlantic JV would become a global one and also incorporate AF/KL/MU, I was wondering whether anyone had a view on how this new arrangement would impact VS' operations at MAN.

The most valuable part of VS operations are how they use slots at LHR. So I wonder whether the JV will cut short haul flying into LHR (e.g. AF, KL) in order to use them for VS, DL and MU (possibly in future 9W).

From VS/DL's perspective, they have wanted to get feed at the European end. DL obviously had that via Skyteam but I expect this will add something. Assuming KL/AF keep flying to LHR, both are in T4 and DL/VS are in T3 - so transfers won't be easy (also AF/KL fly where DL/VS fly so I don't see this adds much).

As regrds routing passengers over MAN, I don't see what this adds to the JV given the relatively small service levels which won't really go anywhere AF/KL don't. It might make it easier to grab the rest of the UK market via MAN using BE, but KL fly to most U.K. Regionals anyway and BE have an agreement with AF. Despite the reported levels of transfer traffic into VS metal at MAN, I can't see a major attraction to the JV of this. Given the pressure being brought by TCX at MAN, we could see a rethink.

However, two points do jump out at me.

1 - 9W will almost certainly join in on this JV in time. I could see the attraction of routing some India-USA passengers via MAN as opposed to LHR/AMS/CDG. MAN has been crying out for BOM and maybe some transfer flows will mean this route reaches tipping point and frees up some London O&D capacity at LHR.

2 - MU (I think) retain some rights to MAN services? I may be wrong as I have a feeling it was CAN which I think are now in HUs hands.

Anyway, food for thought. Be good to hear anyone's view on this.