PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deep vein thrombosis
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2017, 10:23
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olpax... An informative post as I do not think there is enough awareness of DVT and it can be fatal.

I have three experiences of DVT

(a) A female friend, GP in her thirties, inured her leg skiing, a mere two hours flight back from the Alps, she probably had another risk factor in the 'medication' she was taking, common to alot of young women. Anyway her leg starts swelling and white being concerned, as doctor she didn't think she needed to go to A & E, until a friend who was a nurse looked at it and sent her straight to A & E and she was treated for a DVT.
(b) Then the second case, someone I know a male in his early sixties, had been complaining of one of his legs were swollen, after about three days at four in the morning, he had breathing difficulties, called an ambulance, which arrives within ten munutes, by this time patient was not breathing, zero blood pressure and pulse, three paramedics worked on him for thirty minutes, but never revived him. I have sight of the postmortem report, which confirmed DVT followed by PE. The point is once a clot detaches from the leg it doesn't take long to reach to lung and kill you.
(c) The finally my case, I developed a swelling and lump om my right lower leg, and based on the above, looked DVT up on the symptoms and risk factors on the UK NHS websites, I didn't have all the symptons or any risk factors. Then phoned the NHS helpline, they did an assessment over the phone and said I should go the a walk in centre (urgent case centre). Saw the doctor, who said it wasn't a DVT, but the other doctor looked at it agreed. I got the impression because DVT is so serious the two doctors cross check. Both said I did the right thing, but nothing was wrong with me on this occassion.