PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 08:16
cirrus driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try gliding

In cross country soaring flight pilots thermal very close to the stall in order to circle as tightly as possible. We experience frequent wing drops as thermal strength varies. The instinctive and immediate reaction is a quick movement of the stick forward and immediate recovery. Glider pilots have no power lever!
Stalling and incipient spins, then developed spins are thoroughly taught to the gliding student and required in every Annual flight review. We also use our feet all the time on the rudders not merely using them as foot rests but never use full rudder in an incipient spin but only in a fully developed spin then it is standard recovery - full opposite rudder - stick central-move stick slowly forward until rotation stops- neutral rudders -recover gently from the dive. There is no power lever only the power of gravity!
I am a gliding instructor and power pilot , tug pilot plus Mecir qualified but gliding taught me about stalls and spins not power instructors except on my initial aerobatics endorsement in a chipmunk