PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded due to historical issue, case taking months at CAA
Old 28th Jul 2017, 01:58
CrazyScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks everyone for the continued input.

I have done a little searching but not yet made any change with my AME. Although I still feel there are some shortcomings it is very difficult financially to start looking for other doctors to consult on my case, so changing AME is kind of a last resort really. Shopping around for a new state for license/medical issue is likely to be out of reach with my budget.

I have now submitted my appeal so will see how things develop and play it by ear.

B2N2, I appreciate your points. However, the CAA shouldn't be seeing things as so black and white.

If anything, the Germanwings accident demonstrates the need for CAAs to be more open in dealing with airmen with mental health issues in order to foster safer operating environments - as opposed to ostensibly knee jerk reactions to any hint of a problem.

By all accounts, Lubitz' anxieties were at least partly focused on him being assessed as unfit to fly and he hid his diagnoses from the German authority. What do you think will happen as aviation authorities come down ever harder on those with mental health issues? Pilots are humans and a higher proportion of them than most would be aware of or care to admit will suffer mental health issues at some point.

I hold myself to the highest standards in everything I do with regards to my flying and was horrified upon realising my mistake in not declaring my therapy when my previous AME pointed it out just prior to going for my Class 1 exam. I would never deliberately and knowingly withhold pertinent information from the authorities and even now I don't regret making the decision to disclose all details regarding my previous treatment upon realising I was obliged to - but the fact is that doing so has harmed my situation hugely.

I know I am fine and hope I can eventually convince the CAA's doctors of this too, but the fact is jumping through the required hoops has been nothing but a huge setback.