PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight subsidies - N Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 23:58
mysecretsmile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The announcement is great news for the province as a whole. For too long N.Ireland has been cut off from Europe, with passengers having to either interline through a UK hub or go via Dublin airport.

I have heard strong rumours that BHD will pick up a Paris, Brussels and one other - my guess is that it will be BMI/BMI Baby if they make the move down the road to BHD.

Easyjet will almost certainly be gunning for similar routes from
BFS.

Jetmagic and Air France are two others to look out for as possibles from BHD.

I also think Ryanair will start to come into the picture, although as to which airport only time will tell, they possibly have a greater chance of competition with Easyjet if they take the location advantage of BHD (much greater catchment area), plus TBI won't want to ruffle the feathers of Easyjet at BFS.

Although not sure how keen the residents in Sydenham will be on those old Ryanair 737/200 if that is what MOL has on offer.

10 DME ARC - my understanding of these recently announced subsidies are that they are for the airports in NI and not the airlines. There are to compensate for collecting smaller landing fees on these new routes.