PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 4th Sep 2003, 23:46
aquila105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

It looks like you are looking to create a job that you'll enjoy and that will produce enough cash to at least maintain your current lifestyle.
If I am correct, you can answer the question yourself, granted I've never flown in UK and my point of view is limited to the USA.

Option 1: Spend a LOT of money in training, work years as a flight instructor on $ 800/ 1200 a month, then if you are lucky get a turbine helo flying job, where very likely you'll sweat profusely during summer time (most of the helos do NOT have A/C), work in remote areas, skip meals,sleep in trailers with men, spend long period of times without seeing your family, be considered an aviation blue collar and get a salary that is at the bottom of the Aviation Cash Bucket.

Option2: Spend considerably LESS money for training, possibly get in with the airlines (ab initio) or do the instructor thing and then fly corporate, eather way:
Fly state air conditioned state of the art equipment, in and out of big cities or exotic places, be served food and coffee even while you are flying from a beautiful girl, sleep in first class hotels with the flight attendants, usually on the job for 3/4 days, then home for the equal amount, be considered a true aviation professional, get a salary that no helicopter pilot would ever dream of.

Hope this helps!